Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Stimming Explained

One of the most noticeable symptoms/behaviors of autistic children is "stimming." This short video does a good job explaining why autistic individuals self stimulate and offers at least one idea about modifying that behavior.
Stimming Explained

Bradley has a tendency to self stimulate by flapping his arms and standing on his tippy toes when he is excited. In the past I have placed my hands on his hands to make him stop. Then I realized that he was doing this behavior because he was excited.  I want Bradley to be happy and to share his happiness, but also want to prevent any hurt feelings he may have if he is ever ridiculed for his stimming.

One day while Bradley was watching TV, flapping his hands, and standing on his tippy toes I asked, "Bradley- are you really happy right now?" He said "yes." It made me realize that I was telling him that it was wrong to celebrate his happiness. Now I try to model socially acceptable ways to display happiness: clapping, fist pump in the air, verbally expressing happiness, or thumbs up (which Bradley has really taken to). I am thankful for his happiness and love to see his adorable smile

Bradley told me he was very happy with his new Thomas the Train toy he got for his 6th birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment