Saturday, August 16, 2014

Autism & Dating

I have often wondered what type of husbands and fathers my sons will become one day. I hope to prepare them to be loving, patient, and dedicated spouses and parents.

When Bradley was diagnosed with autism at age 3, I was no longer sure what his adult life would be like. With each step forward in progress he makes, I realize that Bradley can still be a wonderful husband to a woman one day. 

Not too long ago Bradley told me he wanted to marry me. After explaining that he couldn't marry me (because Daddy was married to me), Bradley later shared that he wanted to marry a woman just like me. Holding back tears of joy, we prayed together for Bradley's future wife- that God is preparing her to become a woman who knows and loves Jesus Christ as her savior, will love Bradley unconditionally, and will accept and support Bradley for who he is.

I saw this short film today and it further encouraged me that Bradley's future is full of possibility. Dating is down right difficult for everyone. I'm certain that it, like many things, will be slightly more difficult for Bradley in some ways but easier for him in different ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment